Do you want a high-end indoor rower without having to pay upwards of $1,000? The Schwinn Crewmaster Rowing Machine delivers high quality and value with durable components. Not to mention, it has a comfortably ergonomic design.
A big reason why I like indoor rowers for everyday fitness is that you can get a full-body workout in minimal time. Plus, it combines cardio exercise and strength training into one session.
Why an Ergonomically-Designed Rower is So Important:
If your workout equipment doesn’t feel comfortable, then what’s the point? You’ll probably stop using it, which defeats the purpose of buying it in the first place, right?
That’s why I feel that the ergonomic design features on the Schwinn Crewmaster are so important. Below I’ve listed the 4 traits I like the most and how they can help you achieve your fitness goals.
1. For instance, the oversized seat comes with padded vinyl cushioning. (Not many other devices can claim that.) Well designed rowing seats enable you to row for longer without getting a “numb butt”.
2. In addition, the handlebar allows people to grip the handle comfortably. Therefore, you can maintain your grip for longer without straining and get a longer, better workout.
3. Similarly, the large foot pedals come with built-in ankle cups and adjustable foot straps. When your feet feel secure and don’t slip around, you can increase your power and leverage your strength more.
4. Lastly, you can also adjust the height of the digital console so that it sits directly in your line of vision.
If you row for long periods of time, you definitely don’t want to have your back, neck and head out of alignment.
(If you’ve ever strained your neck from staring up or down at a computer screen for too long, you know what I’m talking about.)
The Schwinn Crewmaster VS the Concept2 Rower:
These higher-end indoor rowing machines have many similarities. However, they have one main difference that may help you decide whether you prefer one over the other.
The Concept2 rowing machine uses air and a flywheel to generate resistance as you pull away from it. Therefore, the harder you pull, the more resistance you get. In addition, the air also produces some noise.
On the other hand, the Crewmaster uses magnets to create resistance. Before you start rowing, you choose the intensity level you want for your workout (between 1 and 10 on the machine), and the Crewmaster adjusts accordingly. Consequently, this model outputs less noise and operates more quietly.
How to Track Your Rowing Workout to Maximize Fitness Results:
Getting back to the rowing machine console, it provides a large, easy-to-read backlit display. In other words, there’s no need to squint your eyes to see it.
The large LCD display tracks the time and distance that you exercise, plus it counts your strokes and calories burned. On top of that, it detects your pulse rate.
I find that these console trackers help keep me on stay course with consistent workouts, not to mention motivated to reach my goals. They also solve the problem (and expense) of having to buy a FitBit or other tracking device.
The following video shows how the Schwinn rowing machine works, and they review many of the features we talked about above:
This Low Maintenance Rowing Machine is a Breeze to Care for:
As far as maintenance goes, the Schwinn indoor rower really doesn’t require much. First of all, it doesn’t contain a motor or electrical components that can break. Second, it doesn’t have cables or chains that need greasing.
Note: The heavy-duty steel seat rail provides a smooth, quiet glide and shouldn’t cause any problems. However, I like to occasionally spray a silicone lubricant on the rail to keep the seat sliding smoothly.
By the way, you can lean this rower upright for vertical storage. Therefore, it fits easily in a closet without taking up much floor space.
The machine comes with built-in wheels, so you can effortlessly roll the Schwinn out of sight after you complete your workout. Hence, you can workout virtually anywhere in your home without having a designated workout room. =)
Specs for the Schwinn Crewmaster Rowing Machine:
- Dimensions: 57.5″ Long x 10.5″ Wide x 38″ Tall
- Weight: Approximately 98 lbs
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Resistance: Magnetic
- Resistance Levels: 10
- Rail Type: Steel Rails
- 2 AA Batteries Required
- Model #: 100766
- Manufacturer: Schwinn Fitness, Phone: (800) 556-2896
- Warranty: 10-year frame, 3-year parts & 1-year labor
- Get the Schwinn Crewmaster Rower Here