Do you want a durable, well-made water rowing machine that costs around $500-600? The Phantom Hydro is budget friendly, but it comes with lots of cool features and accessories. Let’s talk about the pros and cons…
Advantages of this Affordable Water Rower:
1. Low Price Rower
First, the low price makes this machine more affordable. At the same time, the Hydro has several advanced features that you would normally find on a high-end model.
The lower price point enables you to invest in useful accessories that you might want. For instance, a paddling cushion, workout plans, rowing gloves or an exercise mat.
2. The Water Creates Realistic Rowing Experience:
Second, the water tank holds water at a 60-degree angle as compared to other water rowers where the tank lays flat. As a result, you get more consistent resistance.
Water rowers also feel more like you’re paddling on an actual lake, which you don’t get from air or magnetic rowers. The machine itself doesn’t make much noise, except for the soothing sound of water whooshing.
3. Benefit from a Built-in Advanced Workout Monitor:
Third, this affordable rower actually comes with an advanced monitor so you can track a variety of different workout stats. For example, follow your distance, time, strokes, calories burned, stroke rate, pulse and more.
In addition, the machine has a device holder above the monitor to hold a smartphone or tablet. Therefore, you can conveniently watch workout videos or movies while you exercise.
Furthermore, the monitor arm swivels and moves up and down. As a result, you can adjust it to a comfortable eye level. Plus, you can follow along with videos that involve other strength training movements off the rower.
4. Sturdy, Stable and Comfortable Rower Design:
Fourth, this heavy-duty rower is well-made for a long lifetime of use. The steel frame, floor stabilizers and “double arm” design make it feel more stable too.
In addition, it includes a non-slip handlebar to easier grip and a cushioned oversized seat for additional comfort. If you plan on rowing several times a week or doing longer sessions, these features make a difference.
5. Easy, More Compact Storage:
Fifth, the Hydro has a unique slide rail that folds for more compact storage. In addition, the base of the machine has wheels so you can easily move the equipment without needing to pick it up.
Note: The Xterra Water Rower offers another budget-friendly option for home use. However, you can not fold it for storage (it stands up vertically).
Disadvantages of this Rowing Machine:
1. First of all, it does not come fully assembled and will require some assembly. That said, this DIY project mainly involves putting together the slide rail, connecting the seat and attaching the accessories.
2. Second, you need to fill the water tank and keep it clean. This is not a big deal, however, adjusting the water level (or resistance) takes more effort than pushing a button or moving a lever.
3. Third, although you can use a screen with this machine, it is not an interactive rower. In other words, it doesn’t come with personal training, videos or group workouts. You’ll need to find your own.
Phantom Hydro Water Level & How to Fill the Tank:
The amount of water in the tank determines the resistance you get during your workout. For instance, the more water you add, the harder your workout will feel. To adjust resistance, simply add or remove some of the water.
The Hydro has minimum and maximum fill lines to help you determine how much water to add. The package includes a pumping siphon, so you don’t have to remove the tank in order to fill it.
How to Keep Your Rower Clean & Low Maintenance:
Rowing machines typically require minimal maintenance. However, water rowers need a little more work because they have a water tank. (Don’t worry, it’s easy and cheap!)
You’ll want to keep the water sanitized, and you can do this by regularly adding water purification tablets that work like chlorine.
Note: The manufacturer recommends adding a new tablet every 6 months or as needed. If the water stays cloudy, simply empty the tank and fill it with fresh water.
I also suggest using an exercise floor mat to protect your floors from the equipment. These mats also help prevent carpet dust from getting on the machine, which can then create more upkeep.
Lastly, I use a silicone lubricant to keep the slide rail smooth. Spray as needed and wipe on with a cloth.
Specs for the Phantom Hydro Water Rowing Machine:
- Dimensions: 81.5″ Long x 21.25″ Wide x 39.5″ Tall
- Folded Size: 43″ Long x 21.5″ Wide x 51″ Tall
- Slide Rail Length: 42″ (good for tall people)
- Weight: 82 lbs
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Material: Alloy Steel
- Resistance: Water
- Performance Monitor
- Color: Silver Grey
- Foldable: Yes
- Includes Smartphone Mount & Bottle Holder
- Assembly Required
- Instruction Manual
- Model #: SF-RW5910
- Manufacturer: Sunny Health & Wellness
- For Sale: Where to Buy the Water Rower